While I was on maternity leave, one of the things I played with was creating a lactation cookie recipe. Every recipe I found online was full of refined carbohydrates, tons of sugar, and butter. I was determined to create a recipe that only contained ingredients helpful to my milk supply and my overall health. It took me several tries, but I finally created the perfect recipe! Whenever I have a friend become a new mama and they have decided to try and breastfeed, I send them a batch of these cookies!
INGREDIENTS TO SUPPORT MILK SUPPLY
Almost every ingredient in this cookie has the purpose of supporting milk supply. The following ingredients are in this cookie and known to support breastfeeding:
- Brewer’s Yeast (I recommend purchasing from amazon)
- Chia seeds
- Whole Grain Rolled Oats
- Almond Flour
- Flax seed
- Dark chocolate (yes, in moderation this can be helpful. My favorite is Lily’s Dark Chocolate)
DON’T SKIP THIS – TIPS FOR MAKING THESE COOKIES
So I’ve told you how these cookies are packed with ingredients meant to support milk supply, and don’t contain any junk or overly processed foods. Therefore this cookies can fall apart easily (there’s no junk or filler holding the cookies together). These tips help ensure a perfect cookie:
- Make sure you let the flax eggs sit for at least 5 minutes until they thicken up. This will help bind the cookie.
- Finely chop the walnuts. If they are too large, the cookies fall apart.
- Don’t make the cookies too big. Around 2 tablespoons is ideal. Make sure you roll each cookie with your hand and compact them as you do so (see my reel on instagram of me doing this).
- Make sure you let the cookies completely cool on the baking sheet before moving. This is key!
- Store in an air tight container.
HEALTHY LACTATION COOKIES
Makes 15-20 cookies depending on the size
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Make your flax egg: In a small bowl, mix the ground flax and water. Set aside for at least five minutes to thicken (this is your flax egg).
- Mix your dry ingredients: In a large bowl, mix oats, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, chia seeds, and brewer’s yeast. Set aside.
- Make the flax egg/sugar mixture: Mix coconut sugar and vanilla into the melted coconut oil. Pour this mixture into the flax egg. Mix until well combined.
- Combine the wet with the dry ingredients: pour the flax egg/sugar mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a spatula and stir until well combined.
- Add toppings: mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Roll cookie dough: take about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Make sure you create a compact ball so the cookies do not fall apart. Place on baking sheet. Use a fork to flatten each ball slightly.
- Bake: Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow cookies to COMPLETELY cool on the baking sheet before moving.
Interested in working with me to get you on track to meet your health goals? Fill out my BOOKING FORM for a FREE 30 minute consultation!
LIFESTYLE NUTRITION + WELLNESS BY JACKIE LLC
Virtual coaching sessions offered with flexible scheduling around naps, bedtimes, and work obligations.