This recipe is a staple in our house, mainly because it takes all of 5 minutes to make! If I don’t have a lot of time to cook, this is my go to recipe. I throw this pesto on edamame pasta (full of protein) and BOOM the meal’s done!
I took my original pesto recipe and modified it to create a plant-based version (aka dairy free). Usually pesto has parmesan cheese in it, which adds a creamy and fatty goodness to the sauce. To achieve the same satiety, I added avocado to this sauce to make it creamy and delish!
A few tips for this recipe:
I use a food processor for this recipe, but if all you have is a blender, go for it! It’ll still taste amazing! The higher speed you process the pesto, the more creamy it is BUT the less texture your pesto will have. Keep this in mind so you can process it to your preference. Lastly, sometimes we keep it simple and just have pesto + bean pasta. Other times we add sautéed veggies like grape tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes, or broccoli. You use whatever you have on hand!
- 3 oz basil
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (pine nuts are great here too)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- healthy pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Pulse 3 times to start to break up the nuts and garlic.
- While the food processor is on low, slowly pour the extra virgin olive oil so it is incorporated into the mixture. You may need bump up the power to high based upon the strength of your food processor. Continue to process until well combined. Serve on top of hot edamame pasta!
I hope you guys love this recipe as much as we do!!